Mayhem and Motherhood: Surrender

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Surrender

I have a friend who keeps telling me in a voice of awe that I am the total picture of surrender to her as I walk through this journey of twins. I don't tell you this to make myself look good but because it makes me laugh that she sees me this way!

The way she says "surrender" is like it's an amazing, beautiful, feminine attribute that makes you sigh as you say it.

As I was reflecting on her comment I thought about how I got to this place of "surrender" (sigh) and couldn't help but laugh at my response. I said "well God put me in a headlock and I had no choice!"

Then I thought about the word surrender and how the little white flag waving out of the castle wall would only come as a sign of surrender when the people had no other choice but to give in or else die.

Why do we see "surrendered" people as something easy and beautiful? It usually always comes after an intense struggle or battle. Easy it is not. Beautiful... I guess it is. Maybe because we more commonly see people stuck in the battle to get their own way, miserable in headlocks but refusing to give in. Stubborn we are at nature aren't we.

My friend is right though. I have surrendered much in this journey and I can only say I wish I had done it much sooner.
Rhonda at 10:10 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

wow...3 new posts! You spoil me!!!

You ARE the picture of surrender...it makse me want to rip up an old white t-shirt and join the party.

now...where did I put that old broom stick?

12:55 AM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

You are amazing and an inspiration to me on my journey! Thanks for all of these posts!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Aren't you supposed to fight your way through until you HAVE to surrender? Isn't that the way you know it's the right thing to do?

I don't think (from my own experience, that is) that God necessarily puts the choice to us with crystal clarity right from the start. I think it's important to wrestle and reason through it until you can clearly see/hear what He's doing/saying so you know exactly to what you are surrendering. What wusses we would be if we just threw up the white flag at the first sign of difficulty without first finding out who's on the other side! Sure, we'd all like to figure it out sooner rather than later, but there's value in the process - in the struggle - even if it does hurt.

Just my 2cents...

Good post.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Good point Cindy. I wonder if the wrestle is always over the stuff that matters and that should be the clue. I don't wrestle with when I should go to the bathroom or other basics. But where does obedience come in? Is it necessary to always struggle with God/against him when he's asking us to do stuff that makes us uncomfortable or is out of our usual. Don't you just dream of a child as a parent who listens the first time you ask them to do something without asking "why" 3 times and sulks their way out the door? thanks for your thoughts!! (love them)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Jon Loeppky said...

I think we esteem the wrestle way too much!

When will we learn that apart from faith it is impossible to please God! (And faith is believing in the things UNSEEN - not the certainty of knowing exactly how things work or will turn out.)

What makes Rhonda's surrender beautiful is that she has learned to live willfully surrender - not beaten into submission!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jon Loeppky said...

If living willfully surrenderd makes me a 'wuss' - then I want to be the biggest wuss that ever lived!

Come to think of it, that would make Jesus the biggest wuss that ever lived!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

When people tell me to surrender, I want to tell them to shut-up!
:)
But hey, that's just me!
;)

Eventually I know I WILL surrender but for the love of pete...shut it!

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home