Mayhem and Motherhood: Satan the policeman

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Satan the policeman

A while back I was thinking about how I view Satan in regards to "being under attack" (such a christianese saying isn't it?) Anyway, what I realized is that up till recently my view of him has been as a neutral party in regards to my relationship with God. Theoretically he's supposed to be something more aggressive and scary, but the reality I've been living out of was that he'd stay out of my way if I stayed out of his. Kinda like the police.

I always get nervous when I see a cop car in my rearview mirror and wonder if they will pull me over. I check to see if my seatbelt is done up, I frantically try to remember if my insurance is renewed and I calmly reduce my speed because I'm always on the upper limits of that silly speed limit. Then I keep my eye on them as I try to drive along as if I've done and am doing nothing wrong. They usually drive by talking to one another oblivious that they've set the fear of God in me and then I exhale and go on with my life.

It dawned on me that Satan doesn't act like a policeman and he's not neutral at all. Doesn't it say that he seeks to kill and destroy? If anything he's a corrupt policeman. I wonder where I got this idea from and being raised in the church all my life I'm pretty darn sure I learned it from the institution.

A friend of mine said he sees Satan as a burgular trying to break into your place. He's so intent on getting in he just sits in wait, not sleeping, not turning away just waiting for the perfect moment when I forget to set the alarm, or leave a window open. Regardless if I'm playing by the rules and staying out of his "things" like the occult he's still wanting to rob me blind. It seems so unfair. What'd I ever do to him? Why does he have it out for me? I'm just living my life minding my own business trying to live out the kingdom of God.

It seems so innocent and gentle "the kingdom of God" but apparently the corrupt policeman satan feels otherwise and is out to get me. Out to get all of us actually. So I ask God to help me watch my windows and let me know when I've forgotten to set the alarm. I'm not alone in this and I don't have to be scared thinking I've seen him around every corner. But to ignore or minimize the reality of his existence and his nature just seems foolish now. I can't help but think the church as an institution isn't doing christians any favors either by teaching us to be so fearful we never leave our homes or oblivious that we don't know he's waiting for any opportunity to rob us blind.
Rhonda at 10:53 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

I wonder if the most poinent question you have posed in this blog is that of "What'd I ever do to him? Why does he have it out for me?"

I wonder if most Christians even know the answer to this...and if they don't...they should! Satan isn't just randomly picking on humans because he's bored. He's got a very specific stratagy....a reason and a stratagy.

Do we know them? Are we aware? Hmmm...I know I'm not.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satan is always prowling around looking for those whom he may devour.What he doesn't seems to realize is that when God allows it, it only brings us closer to Jesus and more in love with Him if we are not offended. It also seems to make us more like Him. Go figure! It is an upside down kingdom.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Well, that post freaked me out!
(In a good way)

I think in the end, we've already won, right?
Well,not us, but Christ in us has already won.

I don't want to live in fear but I do want to know how to pray to protect myself, and my family.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home