Mayhem and Motherhood: Bred in captivity

Friday, July 07, 2006

Bred in captivity

Last week we went to the zoo with Emma and another friend. We walked by the lion's cage and saw two furry faces peering out of the basement window that was enclosed by bars. Me and my friend started a short conversation about it saying "I wonder what it's like to live behind bars with people staring at you all day long? How boring, you can't even run free or do anything that came natural to you like hunting. what a weird existence."

Then my friend said "well they were bred in captivity so this is all they know".

This statement just resonated in my head and I said back "wow, I wonder if that's what it's like for us. We're "bred in captivity" and we have no idea of the life that we were created for"

Her response was "wow rhonda, right to the deep stuff" and that was the end of the conversation.

I came home and shared this idea with Jon and we had a fascinating discussion on the parallels between the caged animals and us living in this world. And I couldn't help but think we were made for so much more than this.

And I couldn't help but be sad that as of late the stuff I want to talk about has nothing to do with what so and so said, or the funny things that happened today, but others aren't that interested in engaging those sorts of conversations.

I constantly feel like I'm alive in my mind and when I share a thought with someone, it' s like launching a plane that could have gone somewhere but usually crashes and burns. Their response is something like "oh, hm, interesting, silence, or right to the deep stuff heh?"

It's weird to want to develop relationships but not be able to share all of yourself for realistic probability of weirding out the friendship. I know you need to talk about regular life stuff too and I do, but I constantly feel the internal pressure to talk about what the other person is willing to engage in because I WANT to build relationships. Sometimes it's lonely and that is why I blog.
Rhonda at 7:17 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

Kinda like the Matrix hey? We don't know anything different, so we think this is the only way to life a life.

I love your deep stuff. Who wants to live a life that's shallow and void of expressive thought? Sounds like you've found an exit door to the Matrix....and it's hard to convince people still locked inside that the door really does lead to someplace greater.

Red pill? or Blue pill?? Which will they take??

1:30 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Makes me really want to be FREE!!!!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. All I want to do is talk about Jesus "He Is Always On My Mind" CD Misty Edwards. Sometimes it has to be just Jesus and us Alone. He will meet with us. Then He will send us people with hearts like us. Meanwhile, we have to walk and meet people where they are at. Very hard sometimes because my heart always yearns for Him and more of Him.I keep praying for Holy Spirit power, hunger and thirst to come to the body of Christ. Me too. Off topic, a few weeks ago saw a picture during church of children with party hats on. Seems God wants us to "Party" even in the midst of persecution. I guess there is a time for everything.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Yvonne took MY saying! I used to say EVERYTHING was just like the Matrix.
But that's because its true.
It really IS the Matrix!

And I do not agree with there being a time for small talk. I hate small talk and think it should be barred from all conversation. Which is probably why I weird out alot of relationships!

That's why I like you, I can get right to the deep stuff.
Perhaps, we should start an association where people only discuss matters of a sensitive nature, if its not volatile and uncomfortable...we just don't talk about it.
We could have a membership of like 4 people who are all strange.
Doesn't that sound appealing?

We could call the Association for Sensitive Stuff, or A.S.S. for short.
Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

12:46 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I'm on the fence with this one. I get uncomfortable talking about deep stuff for a number of reasons. Sometimes it is because I'm not there and have no idea in h%@* how to get there. Or I haven't even thought about the topic. Having babies and being stuck at home is my cage. Even going out with friends with my children I find I can't get into deep stuff because of the "daily duties" that are always before me. I need a lot more time to get deep than an occasional question or topic. And then sometimes, I just want to listen to others sharing but I can't participate because I don't any anything to say. My mind goes blank but I love to take it all in.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home