Mayhem and Motherhood: The journey ahead

Friday, July 07, 2006

The journey ahead

I've been reading a book by Billy Graham called "the journey". It's his culmination of all he knows about living a life of faith written at his age of 86. I didn't know he was so old. I've really been enjoying it. I read a chapter each time I breast feed since they are small chapters I've been whipping through it.

The last chapter I read was about seeing God in all the stages of life. Here he is at 86 and he says he's still learning about the heart of God and who God is. He says since his body is so crippled and he now needs to use a walker, he's been seeing the intricacy of God's creation as he slowly walks with his head down-it's amazing the stuff he's seeing that he never saw before walking head up.

And then it talks about how difficult it is to say goodbye to friends you've had for a lifetime with only the hope of seeing them again in heaven to hold on to.

It got me thinking about being 80 and all the people we will have to say good bye too. We love so many different people, Evan because he makes me laugh, Chris because he's so crazy, Becky because she's so beautiful, Yvonne because she's my best friend ever and is my walking memory, Erica because she's fascinating and I exhale around her, Deanna because she's my parenting guru and is such an amazing godly woman. Trish Guse, Darlene, my brother in law John, Holly and Steve, Wanda, Jen F, so many friends. So many to say goodbye too.

We love lots of people, lots of you add so much to my life. I can't help but think of all the grieving that lies ahead of us on this side of heaven.

How much more amazing then will it be to meet up again in heaven! Just when you thought you'd never see them again...the hope of heaven.
Rhonda at 7:43 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

What a powerful statement....Billy Graham...walking head down..seeing what he's missed for 86 years. I love that.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

I really love how your mind works. It inspires me to think deeper than diapers and dishes. Thank you so much! And, Lord willing, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon and hopefully neither are you! So, no goodbyes yet...maybe see you soon is better!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Thanks for what you said about me, and just so you know...you let me feel at ease too, and I love that you are a safe place to let it all hang out!

I really appreciate you!
ps I have no intention of dying for the next few years, so lets just cross our fingers, shall we?
:)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How true, I feel like I miss things every day cause I'm so busy walking 'head up'.

I've heard Billy's daughter Anne Graham Lotz has some great books out also. I'm actually going to hear her speak at a revival in Toronto in Sept. I'm very much looking fwd to it.

Take care Rhonda. I love reading your musings :) You're so insightful.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sat. July 15
While worshiping, heard your name Rhonda and then these words:
God's listening to the cry in your heart. He hears! He hears! It won't be long now.
Luv Diane

7:01 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I was talking to my Mom about the exact same things the other day. In their time of life, it is funeral after funeral, hospital visit after hospital visit. She longs for those days when her friends were well and they could come over and enjoy and evening together, but now are sick in a hospital because of a stroke or other illness. I'm sure that Mr. Graham is hoping people will hold on to their friends in a real and different way and cherish today because tomorrow may never come.

I really appreciate you Rhonda. You are a refreshing rain to be around. I just wish I could get drenched again sometime.

Is there anything we can pray for you for? Anything at all.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home