Mayhem and Motherhood: Sweet hearts

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Sweet hearts

So I was driving in my car eating "rockets" They are those little miniature sweet tarts that are pure sugar and dissolve within a minute. All pastel colors. Emma likes them and it has become my special treat/bribe toy. As I was letting them melt away they reminded me of the sweet hearts you can buy at valentines day that has corny thoughts writte across them, like "sweet boy" or "number one" whatever.

But I was transported back to this day in my childhood when my mom ACTUALLY let me purchase candy willingly. We were at the Sears department store, and back then they had a bake shop and this huge candy bin of containers that held captive some uninterested adult for their shift. So I specifically remember having money and waiting in line and getting to the till and being overlooked. I mean I had money, I knew what I wanted and the wicked old wrinkly lady working there wouldn't ask me what I wanted, just looked over my head at whoever was behind me. I remember just being tall enough that my eyes poked over the counter but as I was eating my rockets driving peacefully I got mad. If that lady would have walked across my path at that moment, I honestly may not have slowed down.

I just thought why would someone so easily overlook a child. Especially if you are working at a candy counter. Don't you think they are your main consumer? She totally would have been fired off of Martha Stewart's apprentice for that stunt and maybe that should be enough for me to just let it go. But, I just can't. So I think back to this 5 year old cutie pie with a quarter in her hand wanting just a little taste of paradise(the drama I know) and wish there were more people in the world who stood in awe of the little ones. Just for all of their sincerity and cuteness and unblemished humanity. Kids are amazing little creatures and I need to remember that more often myself. Heaven forbid someone remembers me as the wrinkly old crabby lady that......

Sigh, anyone want a rocket?
Rhonda at 12:55 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

I am SOOOOOOO addicted to rockets.....

11:00 PM  
Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

Well....that lady was probebly just looking out for your health. Rockets can rot your teeth.

Just kidding. She sounds like a real bitch. *ahaha*

I can see the headlines now...

"Pregnant woman drives over elderly woman screaming SEE ME, AND GIMMIE MY DAMN ROCKETS!"

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, SOMEONE is a potty mouth today
*ahaha*

9:48 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

MEAN wicked old wrinkly lady!!! How dare she!

And there is nothing wrong with being drama queen, I find them appealing myself!

Hey Yvonne! Those are MY words! Quit usin' 'em!!!
hee hee hee

10:31 AM  
Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

so that passes as "potty mouth" these days? Hmmmm...

Erica...I was usin 'em words while you were still in pull-ups! No wait..that's not true. I actually didn't use those words until about 11 years ago. (you do the math!)

But this isn't about me, this is about Rhonda! Poor Rhonda....

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home