Mayhem and Motherhood: The survivor car dilemma

Saturday, December 10, 2005

The survivor car dilemma

So I've been watching Survivor this season fairly faithfully. This past Thursday the reward challenge was to win a brand new SUV. When the gal won it, fair and square, she was posed with a dilemma. She was offered the chance to give up the car she won in order to give the remaining 4 contestants each their OWN brand new SUV instead.

WHAT A DILEMMA!!

Now watching this I couldn't believe it. I kept thinking "give it up" "let more people benefit than just you" "that's what I would do". And it was interesting to hear the other contestants comments after the fact being on both sides of the argument. So she decided to keep the vehicle for herself because in the end their was no guarantee that she would end up winning the million dollars so she "had no choice". She did get voted off however, ensuring she would not win that million either.

It made me sad and angry all at the same time. How we live in one of the RICHEST continents in the world and how we are quite possibly one of the most SELFISH ones as well. I hear stories of people who travel to third world countries on a missions trip, meet the locals and are treated like kings by people who have nothing themselves. Mind you it's probably a cultural thing as well but I wondered if the same dilemma was posed to someone in a third world country to keep for yourself versus giving to 4 others if they would have chosen self.

Now even as I write this I am reminded from my high and mighty position looking down on this selfish car winner that I too once upon a time won a car. And it was a GREAT feeling. It was one of the craziest things that ever happened in my life (up to now, I guess.) And I honestly don't know if I would have given it up so that others would benefit. That makes me so ashamed as I desire to be more about others than myself. And not in a martyr way but in a "god will give me what I need - I don't have to keep it all for myself" kinda way.

So, curious. What would you have done?
Rhonda at 4:12 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Tough one, especially since Surivor is such a complicated game. I was thinking that she should give the others cars, and she would probably be high in their books. But then again, that might mean that they would vote her off because they know that the jury would like her and choose her! Who knows! :) I'm just glad it wasn't a decision I had to make.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I haven't been following Survivor...this is the first I've heard about this car dilemma. My first reaction is to give the cars to the others. I don't know what I would feel like doing in reality...but at this point, I'd say, give the others the cars! You never know how generosity gets back to you!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Rhonda, you are a very lucky woman. It doesn't happen to very many people to win a car and have twins virtually all at the same time. Selfishly speaking, I would be incredibly thrilled to win a car and the thought of giving it away to someone else would not have been entertained in my mind. But that's the me that never has won anything in her life.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home