Mayhem and Motherhood: Updates

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Updates

Hello friends. Just thinking as I'm up for air that I haven't updated on the kiddies for a while.

This has been a terrible week as all girls have been sick. It doesn't take much extra stress to just push me over the edge. and I have had many parenting hall of shame moments this week. I just keep hoping that Emma at 3 1/2 is still too young to remember any of them. but really i'm running out of time on that one.

So the girls just hit 6 months. when I have some time to figure out how to post a picture I'll do just that... Katie is almost 19 pounds, still really easygoing and smiley, and a big mamas girl. The problem lately is that no one else can put her to sleep so it's made it tough on dad and on mommy's afternoon off. Mad maddy is turning into a really cute little girl when she's not struggling with constipation, gas, bloating, hunger, tiredness or rolling herself into a corner. she's totally got the million dollar smile. How is it possible that when I'm describing each of them I'm tempted to say seperately that they individually are the cutest baby ever. I really think that of both of them and they are different. Maybe this is how you love two wives equally for the bigomists reading my post.

Life around here is almost indescribable. I have never been so busy in my life. I have never tried to maximize my time and thought ahead 3 hours as to what to do to get ready for that time. If I don't wake up at 6 a.m. I may not have a moment to myself until bedtime thus the incentive to do so. I also live for my breaks, like someone coming to help, or daddy getting home, or my wednesday afternoon to be by myself. Maybe this is a stay at home mome thing, but I often look at the clock to see how much longer until this day is over, and then say to myself wow the last 20 minutes went by pretty slowly. But I'm learning to enjoy the reprieves like this one when they do present themselves. They are here and there, but it is impossible for me to say when they would be. It's so weird that the only thing I can control is my attitude, my hygiene, my thoughts, and how others fold my laundry. I never thought I was a control freak but having so many people helping out in my house has made me a little bossy with how others fold my laundry only because I like it a certain way (only towels, tea towels and washcloths really) so I honestly have told people how to do it the way I like. Can you believe that Yvonne? I'm a little horrified myself and yet it speaks volumes as to the control corner I've been pushed into. Of all the things I can't control, these 3 little things I can.

I've hired a friend two afternoons a week to be a consistent 2nd adult in the kids life to allow me to get out to do errands or just breathe. It's been fabulous and it's only been 2 weeks. Also Jon and I have made some major overhauls as to how we do family life and work life and have set ourselves a bit of a schedule and am trialling saying NO to everything extracurricular for the next 2 months. All these areas of discipline that up until now we've been able to ignore... rearing their heads.

And onto the finance department, thank you readers for all the great comments. I'm curious to know who my mystery reader is who thinks I'm sweet. It's like having a secret crush, maybe it's better for it to remain a mystery. So this is what I've decided to attempt to do (thanks to another friends idea) I've gone through how much we have left after all the monthly stuff is paid for and am just putting it into a seperate account and when it's empty it's empty. Feels kinda not like budgeting, but at least it feels realistic to me. And it encourages me to be on top of how we're doing in the account and if we really need it and if i see something that's a good deal I can still find room to say yes once in a while. maybe the only way I see this working at the moment is because the only things we really buy lately are groceries and gas and baby stuff, and so I don't have to decide what categories to divide what into and how much to alot for each. i'll let you know if it sucks. I'll probably be calling to borrow some money!! :)

I really appreciated your comment Nicole about the generosity of others when they know there is a need. Funny how difficult it is to really be honest with others about our needs even though we have so many wonderful people in our lives who would love to meet them.

anyway, i'm off to bed.
Rhonda at 10:51 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!

I am the SAME way about towels, teatowels, and washcloths!!! I'll refold them all if they're wrong. The way I fold them, they fit perfectly in my closet. I'm also finiky about how to fold t-shirts, (like Jon!).

I'm also particular about cleaning of my bathroom. I'm convinced that only bleach will de-contaminate the place. *sigh*

Rhonda...let's make sure that our kids put us in the SAME old-folks home when we are old and mouldy. That way, we can be 'particular' together. (notice I didn't say "controlling"? because we're NOT...we're not like "those" people...hehehe)

Yes...we'll sit in our rockers and laugh together late into the evening, tell the nurses how to fold our towels, and make sure our bathroom is sanitized to our specifications.

.....and we'll play Dutch Blitz

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUTCH BLITZ - you guys play DUTCH BLITZ!!!! NO WAY! WE LOVE DUTCH BLITZ, only problem being that we try to play at family get-togethers and only the women like it (cause the men suck, they won't play!) so it's always my mom, my SIL (Chris' wife) and me trying to get Jordan to play with us HAHAHAHA
Can I live are your old folks home too?

On another note, the bank account thing is exactly what I do also. I spend more if I have cash, and I pay no svc fees at the bank, so I transfer a set amount for groceries & gas, then use the rest to pay as many bills as I can. Problem is, I never have quite enough to pay ALL the bills, and they keep getting bigger! I can't wait until I don't have to stress about this anymore!!!!!

I have also learned to pay bills at work in the morning, when no one is around cause it puts me in a really, really bad mood. Guess I should pray about that, too :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Yes, its true, that is how all of us bigomists love our wives.

ha ha
Couldn't resist. I liked that part of your post. Made me laugh.

I can't wait to see pictures of your babies, I am convinced that 6-9 monthes is the most cutest age.

Thanks for the update.

ps I know who your secret admirer is.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Dutch Blitz? Yvonne, was it not I who taught you to play - and you didn't even like it!

6 months already - where does the time go?

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home