Mayhem and Motherhood: Keeping Up

Monday, October 13, 2003

Keeping Up

Aaagh, so good to see I'm keeping up with an almost weekly update. Happy Thanksgiving all. Anyone else have ham or chinese food for the big meal??

We've had family in from the west coast this weekend. A wedding, a 40th anniversary, an orgranized family photo shoot with all the nieces and nephews and of course thanksgiving dinner with a marshmallow roast. Just a little busy.

Wonderful weekend when all is said and done. Don't know if anyone else feels like this but my 2 brothers live out in B.C. and we see each other maybe once a year if we're lucky. When we first start hanging out it feels so awkward, like trying to make polite conversation with the stranger next to you on a long bus ride. But by the end of the weekend, it feels just like home. Funny how that is.

One of my brothers brought his 8 year old daughter and 4 year old son. The boy is a hoot. He's addicted to video games, so much so that he was playing them out into the parking lot after dinner last eve and yelled at my dad when he walked by "hey, get out of my light!!" as it threw off his game. Too cute. He's such a little snuggler too. He was giving me a big hug today, resting his head on my shoulder and he says to me with his lisp, "Auntie Rhonda, you can tell me anything and I'll listen". Just makes you want to kiss him. He also knows all the words to the spider man theme song and has nicknamed my brother, his play arch enemy "the gob" for the green goblin.

I so enjoy this age of kids. Yet I'm sure when I'm there it may not be so fun if I'm the one constantly saying "listen to me" or "get down from there" or "did you pee your pants again?" The 8 year old really likes me which is neat. She's asking to sit beside me at dinner and wants to hold Emma and play with her. I've already asked her to come out and be my babysitter when she's older. I only have nephews close by so it was a really nice treat to see how a niece interacts with me. Anyway, this was my long weekend.
Rhonda at 10:03 PM