Mayhem and Motherhood: Stages

Sunday, October 05, 2003

Stages

So I was talking to my brother in law yesterday about kids. I had said "I'm looking forward to her being out of this stage" and he said to me "Yeah but then they just grow into a different one. As they get older their problems may be fewer but they become bigger". I thought what a truth. My infant isn't dealing with peer pressure and "saying no to drugs". Nor temptations to mess around with her boyfriend in the back of OUR car!!! This is why she will not be allowed to drive, ever.

And then it dawned on me that this is how I often view my most recent challenge in my own life. With disdain that their is still ANOTHER thing to deal with and work through. I've just turned 29 shouldn't that be old enough to have learnt something by now? What my little one is showing me and teaching me is that life is never absent from a bit of complication. A bit of excitement and adventure, it's just how you look at it.

And for as long as we grow together there will be "something" for both of us to work through in our growth as individuals. Currently it's Emma learning to sleep through the night and allow a babysitter to spend time with her. And for me it's learning that it's not bad to be needed and I am the exact mom my little girl needs.
Rhonda at 3:20 PM