Mayhem and Motherhood: Spirituality

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Spirituality

I tried this one a few entries back but never got around to saying what I had set out to.

I've been thinking lately about how "unspiritual" I feel my life is. I talk to God in bed all the time and share tons with him but my life seems to be more about little things than big "spiritual ones" I had this above thought until I had an aha moment a few weeks back about how "spiritually"infused all the little stuff really is. And how I think I'm missing out on seeing the spirit at work in life around me and within me because it's not "big" in what i'm used to seeing as "big".

For example, twins is a miraculous event. God is currently as I write forming these two little beings inside me. He doesn't set it on a timer like a bread machine that whirs it for 3 minutes and then kneads for 10 minutes so he can be doing something else. He is actually creating these two inside of me all day long. 9 months long. Creating spirit and features and bones and personalities and forming hair follicles. He says in Psalm139 that he formed me in my mothers womb and this is a hugely "spiritual" thing our society has totally annhilated. We take the spirit out of life, out of milestones, out of growth out of just simply living.

Where did I get the idea that for me to be "spiritual" is for me to be on my face in worship 24 hours a day worshipping along with a band. Why has taking care of my family and nurturing a child never been a spiritual thing for me. Or rather why does no one else talk of how spiritual this really is. I think the simple presence of a childs life screams of the spiritual at work. The miracle that this child once helpless is able to crawl and walk and talk and... milestone after milestone they really are spirit infused miracle after spirit infused miracle.

So I still long for deeper encounters with God where I am in his presence and we are together. And I am wholly undistracted to just be with him. Little kids make that one a challenge during their waking hours. But I am reminded to see all the spiritual stuff at work thru this little miracle and wake up to the real presence of God that is everywhere always wherever you look.

It's kinda like an easter egg hunt though where the "big spiritual" stuff is the easiest to see. It's the big 5 foot round egg in the middle of the floor. You have to be an idiot to miss it. But it doesn't mean that there aren't smaller eggs hiding under pillows and curtains and creative places that we shouldn't search for. Chocolate in a tiny egg still tastes as good as the biggest egg you could find.
Rhonda at 2:19 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne Parks said...

AMAZING!!!

RHonda...really. I love the "Chocolate in a tiny egg still tastes as good as the biggest egg you could ever find" Totally profound...

wow...and you did all this thinking ABOVE water??? Wow! hee hee

8:14 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

great post Rhonda! good and honest thoughts! bless you to encounter God in day to day things, through your work, your kid(s), and in moments where you can steal away and be with the Father!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

WOW!

That was great!
You're a very good writer!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Very cool! I need to hear that right now! Thanks.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home