Mayhem and Motherhood: Revamping my christmas

Monday, December 19, 2005

Revamping my christmas

My mom gave me a book to read. It was called 100 ways to simplify your christmas. It was an easy read and I finished it over lunch today. However it made me think of some things that felt empowering as I tackle this challenge of a season.

I've often felt quite scrooge like because I hate giving gifts out of obligation, and think the chaos of the season is insane, and don't appreciate all the hard work going into the meals and nicely decorated packages that people share with me. Then I read this book and realized I wasn't the only one and I could ACTUALLY do things differently.

Her first challenge was to think about what you like about the holidays and what you dislike. I never realized I had an option not to buy my family members gifts. Or that I did not need to participate any longer in things I wasn't all for. Even if people think I'm scrooge like, or don't get it, or criticize me for it. It's my celebration of the season after all isn't it? And I totally feel like I miss out on the real point year after year.

She even had a story about a lady who preferred to spend the holidays alone to reflect and spent the whole 2 week holiday season ALONE not accepting any invitations or hosting(even from her family and kids). Well to me this was extreme but if she can do it, why can't I do what others won't get?

I think most of us don't attempt to change anything because of guilt. Because we feel cheap, or unappreciative, don't want to come across as poo-pooing our parents traditions, afraid of how people will interpret our actions, afraid to rock the boat. I got some great ideas of things to implement with my kids when they are a bit older to create MEMORIES as opposed to GUILT. And probably the biggest realization I had was that i needed to tell people why I do or do not do what I do. Or moreso why I will no longer be doing what I have done.

Anyway, it felt like the beginning of something new today. And that's always exciting.
Rhonda at 9:48 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

Way to be YOU!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home