Mayhem and Motherhood: nothing to say

Monday, February 13, 2006

nothing to say

I actually truly have nothing to say. I'm just afraid YOU think if I don't post than i'm in labor... so this senseless entry is all for you.

I haven't been thinking any deep thoughts recently. However hard I've tried.

I've truly just been focused on the whole labor aspect and psyching myself up for it and taking care of my body to get the rest and food I need. It's a pretty simple existence.

But it requires me to delegate lots of things like errands and groceries and ask for help to get stuff done kinda the way I would do it myself. It made me think that this is what it must be like to be royalty or someone used to having servants. (I need to think of it more positively don't I) Because I truly sit around and ask people to do things like walk 5 feet to pick something off the floor, or run upstairs to get me a drink, or even carry my most comfortable chair and ottoman from floor to floor based on where I am. I'm just not used to asking people to do such basic things. And I don't think this fits into the "hard to ask for" category, it's the more "I feel like I'm bossing you around" category.

It actually reminds me of a situation I was in when i was doing homecare in the city. One of the worst patients I've ever encountered was this certain lady who was a quadrapalegic. She was extremely demanding, gave orders about HOW to shut the door on her dresser, exactly what order to do things in, all the while treating you like you were an idiot for not knowing. Did I mention she was terribly unhappy and her misery was like a poison in the air? Anyway, when I think of asking people to do things for me, especially when i want them done a certain way, I am reminded of her and how she made me feel. I don't like bossy people, or mean people, or people who think their way is the only way.

So i will remember to say please and thank you and appreciate every act done on my behalf, hopefully while being fun.

So that's a lot of nothing heh?
Rhonda at 8:19 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger Marsha said...

I was on complete bedrest for the last month of my last pregnancy - I was only allowed to get up to use the bathroom with a walker. I couldn't shower as that would involve climbing stairs. So I have some idea what you are going through. Don't worry if Emma is watching lots of T.V. It is a temporary thing only. It isn't like you are sticking in front of the T.V. for 8 hours every day for the next 15 years. Being on bedrest really makes you pare down to what is really important in life. My kids wore the same clothes for a week, never had their hair combed and their faces were rarely clean. My elderly friend Margot said, "well if anyone looks at them it will very clear what is going on - they are being taken care of by their father." I read books to them a lot and snuggled - it was all I could do. I think it even filled their love-tanks some - they would need that for after Sam was born & life got newborn crazy.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

You are just SO considerate! Imagine, thinking of me (are there others?) and my own conclusions when you are on the threshold of something so exciting.

Thank you. ;P

10:58 AM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

I'm so glad you're still pregnant! Not to be mean, but so happy that you are caring so well for your babies.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Marsha what a hoot!!

I love your friend margot's comment about dad taking care of them!! I'm still laughing.

Thanks for the stories and encouragement. It can be a lonely place when you feel you're the only one who's been here. Not so lonely at the moment...

11:28 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Rhonda,
Whether or not you post does not affect whether or not I wonder if you are in labour yet.
EVERY time I think of you (at the computer or not) I wonder if you are in labour yet.

Every time you cross my mind, I think, will today be the day?

But keep posting, because I like reading your thoughts!

Sincerly,
Erica "vicariously waiting" Seales

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home