Mayhem and Motherhood: Triggers

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Triggers

God has been talking to me lately about triggers. Specifically why I react in certain ways towards some people that I wish I could control better.

This analogy came to me today which really helped me understand my reactions. The picture was a poisonous arrow that was lodged in my foot. It healed over so that I wasn't as aware of it and went on with my life limping and in pain. I just got used to it so much so that I wasn't even aware of it anymore. Then someone came along and ripped off the scab bringing back all that pain and I blame them thinking it's their fault that my foot hurts, forgetting that the poisonous arrow has been there for years and has been hurting me for just as long. Just not in the acute stage (get the nurse lingo) My reaction to the current event is totally linked to the poisonous arrow that is still lodged in my foot, conveniently forgotten about.

So this is the picture of how my triggers are "triggered" (for lack of a better word)

It's funny because I've been asking God to help me understand why I've reacted certain ways so automatically to situations that logically can be understood but still seem to hurt my heart. I'm amazed at what he's showing me. The light that he is shining on the dark forgotten areas.

I'm coming to really believe that forgetting is not the cure. Confronting is not even the cure. Neither is ignoring, rationalizing or logically understanding the meaning of the initial wound. The cure is removing the arrow that was lodged initially so it can no longer initiate those automatic responses when triggered. Kinda like being a slave to the cycle. Without addressing the wound I am somewhat powerless to act differently and react from my pain.

Someone this week told me that the intensity of a person's reaction to a "situation" has more to do with this person's issues and triggers than it does to the rightness or wrongness of the situation.

Have you ever snapped at someone and didn't get why them? Has someone just irritated you to no end no matter how deep you tried to go to find some love in your heart? Trigger, your arrow.

This feels so philisophical but in my head and in my heart it's becoming freedom from lies and arrows that i didn't even know i've been walking around with.

So the journey continues....
Rhonda at 11:42 PM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh

You sound so wise!! (cuz you are!)

Its a life altering revelation....I am so thrilled that you and I could spend this time together....and learn such cool stuff together too!!

Yvonne

9:25 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Holy Profundity Batman!

Wow! That was a great analogy and so true, which is why is it great.

I have had that happen, you know the "trigger people" come along and BAM!!!! Off I go!

I am glad you're asking such great questions, and getting answers too!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Deanna Momtchilov said...

We NEED to get together and share some of this cool stuff we are getting! I am so encouraged!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home